Camping near Les Eyzies
Where is the town of Les Eyzies?
To take a leap into prehistory, the town of Les Eyzies in the Dordogne proves to be the ideal place to spend your vacation while camping. This small traditional town is a tourist destination in the Périgord Noir in the department. In the past, it was the home of the Cro-Magnon men, as the surrounding decorated caves testify. It is therefore a gateway to the world of Prehistory which traces 400,000 years of human history. The former commune of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac is the cradle of Prehistory with a record of sites and monuments within it.
Camping le Temps de Vivre at 35 min from Les Eyzies
Located near Eyzies, the camping Le Temps de Vivre is about a 35-minute drive. This is an open-air hotel in the Dordogne that offers its services at relatively attractive prices. The infrastructure and services are worthy of a 3-star hotel. Its goal is to offer its guests a quality stay with all comfort. In a natural setting, change of scenery and harmony with nature perfectly describe your future vacations in the Perigord. Moreover, the camping Le Temps de Vivre near Les Eyzies offers leisure activities for all generations.
The dynamic team of the establishment welcomes you in a warm and friendly atmosphere. Thanks to the modern facilities that make up the Eyzies campsite, young and old alike will be able to take full advantage of the aquatic area. This is equipped with a heated swimming pool, a paddling pool, a slide and a solarium for sunbathing in the summer period. After swimming, you can play on the petanque court or on the ping-pong table set up on site.
The spirit of camping finds its full meaning within this Perigordian hotel complex. For accommodation, it has furnished mobile homes with all the necessary equipment to carry out your stay near Les Eyzies. Depending on the number of people, the capacity of these accommodations is variable, ranging from 2 to 8 people. In each accommodation, you have a kitchen integrated into the living room in order to optimize space, separate bedrooms, including a master bedroom, and a private terrace for lounging in the beautiful season. The mobile home rental les Eyzies has the advantage of offering the conveniences of a house, you will be able to spend quiet vacations, and keep your privacy.
If you want to experiment with other modes of accommodation, Le Temps de Vivre also has canvas bungalows, that is to say vacation accommodation with all the comforts and good value for money near Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil. By choosing to rent a mobile home in Les Eyzies, you will be just a few minutes from the prehistoric sites. Thus, you will have easier access to local places of interest.
What to do and see in Les Eyzies
Much more than a vacation destination, the town of Les Eyzies is a tourist town in its own right. Visitors from all over the world come to stay and explore its natural wonders. Caves, prehistoric shelters and the Dordogne Valley are must-sees during your visit to Les Eyzies. The campsite, which is located about 30 kilometers away, is ready to welcome you in a unique setting to sleep in comfortable accommodation. During the day, here are the activities to plan:
- Visit the national monuments: visits are a must in the capital of Prehistory. Moreover, we have already mentioned above all the sites that deserve a detour in the Dordogne, passing by the picturesque villages of the Valley, the caves and shelters.
- Discover the religious monuments: churches, abbeys and cathedrals are spread all around the town of Les Eyzies. In the city of Art of Périgueux, the church of Sainte-Étienne-de-la-Cité, and in the village of Souillac, the abbey Sainte-Marie are more or less close to your vacation spot.
- Visit the gardens: to get more of the natural atmosphere in the old commune of Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil, it has some remarkable gardens around. The Gardens of the Manor of Eyrignac a few minutes from the campsite, the gardens of the castle of Losse, the gardens of Marqueyssac and the gardens of Albarède. These are essentially the most important ones, which you can reach at about 20 km from the campsite Le Temps de vivre.
- Canoeing: if you are fond of outdoor activities, canoeing is practiced on the rivers near Eyzies. The canoe 24 and the animation Vézère canoe-kayak are the establishments dedicated to this practice in the city.
- Horseback ride: to enjoy the country atmosphere of the region, the Fonluc farm allows you to visit on horseback, the crossing of the Vézère river and the magnificent forests that make up the territory. The route will be punctuated by instructive breaks led by the farm guide.
- Donkey ride: children will find pleasure in riding a donkey in the heart of a short journey that leads to Saint-Léon-sur-Vézère. Of course, it is an accompanied visit proposed to the little ones by the sign "Au pas de l'âne"..
- The animations of the Eyrignac gardens : divided into 7 gardens, various animations take place all year long. Between exhibitions, Garden Party and picnic this mythical place is a leisure place in its own right because of the cultural events that are organized there. It is also possible to discover it during the guided tours in summer from 11 am. In the other French gardens of the Périgord Noir, other animations are proposed according to the seasons. It is up to you to choose the event likely to interest you for a week rich in discovery in the town of Les Eyzies.
Tourist attractions around Les Eyzies
Les villages préhistoriques de la vallée de Dordogne
The picturesque town of Les Eyzies is rich with an exceptional heritage. About 15 kilometers away, the old medieval town of Sarlat-la-Canéda invites you to stroll through its ancient buildings that offer a singular setting. The lovely Vézère Valley continues the list, an important region known for its well-preserved prehistoric villages, including the beautiful village of Beynac-et-Cazenac and la Roque-Gageac located at the foot of the cliff. In addition, Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil is the Mecca of prehistory in the Dordogne.
The bastides are also among the tourist attractions near Les Eyzies. Between the town and your Dordogne vacation spot, the bastide town of Domme offers a panoramic view of the valley. A little further away, the bastides of the Dordogne at Beaumont-du-Périgord is a new town from the Middle Ages, as is Monpazier, 30 km from Les Eyzies, which is distinguished by its superb arcaded square.
Other places to discover near Les Eyzies
The Château de Commarque is a must-see that lies between les Eyzies and Sarlat, accessible by a lovely path through the woods. Shows, concerts and medieval performances take place at the castle on fine days. Make a detour to this ruined castle during your stay in Dordogne.
Villeréal with its wooden market hall and its fortified church will not leave you indifferent during your visit. It is located 39 km from Les Eyzies, as is the Causse corrézien lake, this body of water near Brive that invites you to relax or discover it during an outdoor jogging for the sportsmen. The Vesunna museum is not to be outdone for visiting Eyzies during a wonderful journey to the heart of the Gallo-Roman era.
Paleontological sites in the Dordogne
If you stay at the campsite Le Temps de Vivre, there are many archaeological sites, under investigation, to explore with your loved ones. These include caves, sometimes with prehistoric shelters like the one at Grand Roc.
- The cave of Rouffignac: it is one of the most important in the region. You can discover it on board a small electric train that takes you to the bottom of the cave to take a closer look at the engravings that surround you during your visit. The black line drawings visible inside the cave include a total of 158 mammoths, 28 bison, 15 horses, 10 rhinoceroses and one bear. An unusual mix that sets it apart from other nearby caves. It is rare to find mammoths on display in prehistoric art. While visiting the Rouffignac cave, you will discover, in the heart of the visit, a huge cave whose ceiling is covered with 65 drawings and engravings.
- The cave of Grand Roc : in the Vézère valley, this magnificent cave system is full of stalactites and stalagmites. Just as it is close to the prehistoric capital of the world in Les Eyzies, the campsite is also about 15 km away. In the parking lot of the Grand Roc cave, an imposing cliff serves as an entrance halfway up the cave. In fact, the site also hosts the historical shelter of Laugerie basse, a few steps from the cave. In order to reach the interior, a passage has been dug. You just have to follow the passage of light that illuminates the large pieces of crystals in the wall to better approach the rest of the visit. Thousands of crystallizations cover the rocky ceilings of the places in all the directions.
- The cave of Lascaux: in the commune of Montignac-Lascaux, this cave is one of the pearls of the Vézère valley. It is one of the most important decorated caves of the Paleolithic period, and stands out for the quality of its works. Nicknamed the Sistine Chapel of cave art, it is also known as the Versailles of prehistory. The age of the works of art that cover the inner walls of the Lascaux cave are estimated at 19,000 and 17,000 years from dating of objects found in the cave during archaeological excavations.
- The Font-de-Gaume cave : located in the old commune of Eyzies-de-Tayac, the Font-de-Gaume cave is decorated with Magdalenian paintings and engravings. Moreover, it is listed as a Unesco World Heritage Site. It is considered one of the most beautiful Paleolithic sanctuaries in the world, still open to the public today. More than 200 animal figures are painted in a polychrome decoration.
- Le gouffre de Proumeyssac : in addition to caves, the Dordogne has chasms including that of Proumeyssac. It is a natural cavity located in the commune of Audrix which is open to visitors. Nicknamed the cathedral of crystal, this chasm is one of the most beautiful cavities of concretions in France. Like the Lascaux caves, this jewel of cave art is a Unesco World Heritage Site. To get there, you have to travel 43 km from the campsite Le Temps de vivre. Adorned with limestone, the Proumeyssac chasm highlights the sound and light effects.
- The Padirac chasm: between waterfalls and calcite columns, its charm with an unreal and timeless decor marked by stalactites and stalagmites makes the Padirac chasm, a place of major interest in Dordogne. The visit is done in two stages: the first is by boat on the underground river and the second along the caves and cathedrals of concretions. In any case, it is part of the most beautiful sites in the Périgord, and is located less than 50 km from your vacation accommodation.