Visit the abyss of Proumeyssac
Holidays near the Gouffre de Proumeyssac
Visits to caves and chasms are a must for any holiday in the Dordogne. At camping Périgord Noir, you are ideally placed to go and discover the most beautiful underground sites in the region.
In the heart of the Vézère valley, the Proumeyssac chasm is one of the most beautiful concretion caves in France. With its underground river, its stalactites and stalagmites, it is one of the sites, classified in the world heritage of the unesco, the most known of the Valley of the Dordogne with the caves of Lascaux, jewel of the parietal art.
The site, also called "the crystal cathedral", is located 43 km west of the campsite Le Temps de vivre. It will take you less than 50 minutes by car to get there. Don't miss the opportunity!
Visit the Gouffre de Proumeyssac
The source of many legends since the 18th century, the Proumeyssac chasm is the largest developed cave in the Périgord. It is naturally adorned with impressive limestone concretions, highlighted by sound and light effects. Its visit, which lasts about 45 minutes, can be done on foot or in a mechanical rotation gondola.
With a capacity of 11 visitors, the gondola offers a panoramic view of the chasm: an unforgettable experience to share with your family!
In addition to the chasm, the site includes an edutainment park and a museographic space. In the heart of the Dordogne, the Proumeyssac chasm is composed of various galleries, and it is called the "crystal cathedral".
Info on the visit to the Gouffre de Proumeyssac
- The guided and commented tour lasts about 40 to 45 minutes with free parking.
- The Proumeyssac chasm also has a reception, a relaxation area, an access arranged for people with reduced mobility (in partial visit), a bar-snack, a store, a game area and exhibitions of photos and films unpublished in the chasm.
- A video surveillance monitors the premises with an ambient temperature of 34 °C. You can leave strollers and headphones at the reception.
- On the other hand, dog and other pets are not allowed.
- For foreign tourists, a multilingual translation, specifically in 5 languages where the tour commentaries are broadcast simultaneously through a system of auto-language in English, German, Spanish, Italian and Dutch.